Location : Chisinau, MOLDOVA
Application Deadline : 22-Jul-19 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Level : SB-4
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : 19-Aug-2019
Duration of Initial Contract : One year
Expected Duration of Assignment : One year, renewable
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Plan and design communications and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans:
- Prepare and conduct communications needs assessments for the Country Office (CO), including for projects, programmes and corporate change initiatives;
- Analyze requirements and synthesize proposals for elaboration of communications strategies; ensuring gender perspective;
- Integrate communications, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives;
- Monitor and analyze print and social media and draft reports;
- Coordinate in-country UN Women/ UN system corporate and local campaigns and special events, and ensure UN Women’s active participation and visibility in UN Joint Communications Group and ensuing joint communications activities.
2. Coordinate and implement the development and dissemination of advocacy materials in the country:
- Develop and produce communications materials, including brochures, publications, briefing materials, press releases, and articles, and manage their dissemination;
- Identify and propose information-sharing opportunities, activities, approaches and platforms and partners;
- Promote and disseminate corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives, publications, and campaigns;
- Manage the translation/adaption/rewriting of global or regional communications materials, coordinate printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
- Follow guidelines from HQ and RO.
3. Coordinate media relations for the CO:
- Manage relationships with the media in the country; maintain and update a media database;
- Respond to media inquiries and information requests; prepare related correspondence;
- Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences, and briefing sessions for the media, as required;
- Draft talking points.
4. Build and maintain partnerships and maintain relations with donors:
- Identify and develop new communications partnerships and alliances to enhance visibility;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors;
- Provide inputs to donor reports and information packages for donor review.
5. Maintain the CO’s web/ online presence:
- Manage CO’s website content and maintenance based on corporate requirements;
- Manage the CO’s social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy;
- Upload information to knowledge management system on a regular basis, including news, updates, and resources.
6. Facilitate knowledge building and sharing:
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities;
- Provide training and workshops on communication and advocacy, as appropriate.
7. Key Performance Indicators:
- Quality communications strategy and timely implementation which leads to greater exposure and understanding of UN Women’s work;
- Timely monitoring of current events and trends;
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content;
- Timely updating of website and social media;
- Timely dissemination of materials as shown by knowledge of UN Women’s activities in country;
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage.
Core Values / Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrates ethics and integrity;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN Women;
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, encourage learning and sharing of knowledge;
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UN Women initiatives.
Job knowledge/Technical expertise/In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter:
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies;
- Knowledge of web-based management systems;
- Knowledge of production, graphic design and photography standards;
- Knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach;
- Knowledge of local country media landscape. Ability to establish and maintain contacts with media at national and local levels, with senior-level officials of the host government required;
- Ability to be strategic and analytical;
- Knowledge of gender and human rights issues Outstanding oral and written communications and editing skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Proven ability to problem-solving and thinking creatively;
- Ability to facilitate and encourage open communication and communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
Leadership and self-management:
- Ability to establish priorities for self and others, achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Identifies opportunities and builds strong relationships with clients and partners;
- Interacts effectively with all levels of the organization, including senior management;
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in corporate communications, public relations, media communications, social sciences, international relations, journalism and/or other relevant;
- Additional training and certification in communication and related areas is a strong advantage.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in communications at the national or international level, including experience in media relations;
- Experience in the use of social media, multi-media and digital platforms;
- Experience working in a large development agency is an asset;
- Previous experience with gender issues, with UN Women and UN system is an asset.
- Fluency in oral and written Romanian and English. Good knowledge of Russian is an asset.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language is an asset.