Moldova High Value Agriculture Activity Project is looking for a Trade and Marketing Specialist
Chemonics International, Inc. is seeking a Trade and Marketing Specialist to support the USAID Moldova High Value Agriculture Activity (HVAA) project. The goal of HVAA is to further stimulate the transformation of the Moldovan high-value agricultural (HVA) sector into an engine of economic growth for the country, leading to improved competitiveness and higher living standards for rural Moldovans in the long term.
The purpose of the Trade and Marketing Specialist is to lead HVAA market development and market linkage activities in the targeted value chains (apples and stone fruits; table grapes; berries; vegetables and honey), ensure the achievement of relevant HVAA’s goals and objectives, and act as a key point of contact for market development and market linkage activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
Principal tasks under this scope of work include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the collection of information and analysis of internal constraints and market opportunities in the targeted value chains;
- Advise HVAA Chief of Party and Value Chain Partnerships Team Leader on the design of project strategies and activities in annual work plans for the targeted value chains, ensuring contract indicators are addressed and prioritized with demand-driven interventions, including through identification of grant opportunities and subcontractor needs;
- Establish and maintain positive work relationships with relevant stakeholders including local associations, producers and particularly with local and international buyers;
- Carry out export-readiness audits and coach export-ready firms to develop and implement strategic marketing plans;
- Help producers understand the requirements of targeted export markets;
- Help producer/exporters develop professional company profiles, including product availability and offer sheets;
- Work with industry associations and firms to develop strategic marketing plans which will promote and increase sales of Moldova’s high value agriculture products in domestic and targeted/prioritized export markets;
- Help exporters prepare trial shipments; track arrivals and coordinate information sharing about quality issues and buyer behavior;
- Lead the organization of inward buyer missions and outward trade missions;
- Coordinate effective trade show participation, including pre-planning and follow-up;
- Manage import agents in diverse target markets to monitor market conditions; inspect shipment arrivals and provide quality feedback to producer/shippers; cultivate buyer-supplier relationships; and advance sales;
- Identify opportunities and broker partnerships and develop catalytic grant concepts to advance the competitiveness of Moldova’s high value agriculture;
- Design, conduct and/or manage training activities and trade missions that are tailored to increase market opportunities and sales for Moldova’s high value agriculture;
- Assist with locating and recommending relevant short-term consultants; develop Scopes of Work, monitor and facilitate their work while in-country;
- When possible, assist the technical team to incorporate gender considerations into relevant program activities;
- Collaborate with the project Grants Team to draft grant solicitations and follow-up training, liaising with, and effectively monitoring all grantees of market-related grants, including the quantifiable and qualifiable results, compliance, and progress of grants and grantees;
- Collaborate with the Monitoring & Evaluation Manager to gather data on project outputs and impact on the targeted value chains;
- Collaborate with the Food Safety and Post-Harvest Specialist and the Environmental Specialist to identify and address environmental and food safety issues related to the sectors and ensure that targeted producer organizations in the sectors work towards and attain international food safety standards as specified in the project contract and annual work plans;
- Assist the Agriculture Policy Reform Specialist to identify, diagnose, and recommend reforms to agribusiness enabling environment constraints that hinder market development across the targeted value chains;
- Contribute to bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports; draft concept notes, various memos for internal and external consumption, as requested by HVAA Chief of Party and Value Chain Partnerships Team Leader;
- Other duties as directed.
The position will report to the Value Chain Partnerships Team Lead.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the required knowledge, skills, and/or abilities needed to perform the principal duties:
- Bachelor or Master degree in international relations, marketing, public administration, business administration, agriculture or other related fields;
- Experience in business development consulting, market research, business planning and other related fields;
- Ability to develop effective research;
- Experience with similar assignments/projects supported by USAID or other donor programs, is an asset;
- Excellent inter-personal communication and mediation skills; team-player;
- Proven ability to work professionally and constructively as part of team, meet deadlines, communicate effectively, and deal with diverse partners in challenging environments;
- Advanced computer user skills Power Point, Word, Microsoft Excel;
- Excellent English and Romanian written and oral proficiency is required. Russian is an asset.
Expressions of interest, CVs and salary history should be sent in English to HVAARecruitment@chemonics.com. The deadline for submission is December 02, 2018, but early applications will receive priority review. Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Chemonics International, Inc. (www.chemonics.com) is a U.S.-based international consulting firm providing expertise in developing and emerging-market countries since 1975.