WHAT is Stars4Media?
Developed by the media and for the media, and co-funded by the EU, Stars4Media is supporting collaborative initiatives developed by at least two media organisations from two different EU countries. These initiatives should contribute to innovation in new editorial products and formats, emerging technologies or other innovations at the organisational level. Stars4Media Second Edition is the continuation of the first European training programme for media professionals to accelerate innovation and cross-border cooperation.
WHO can participate?
Participants are media professionals (mainly young “rising stars”, plus their optional senior mentors), either acting from within a media organisation or as freelancers, collaborating around an innovative idea: a Stars4Media ‘initiative’. Stars4Media ‘initiatives’ and teams must involve a mix of different media profiles: reporters, data journalists, graphic designers, web developers, social media managers, user experience and marketing specialists, data and AI experts, etc.
Stars4Media ‘Initiatives’ are innovative ideas developed during 4 months by small cross-border and cross-disciplinary teams of media professionals, focusing on one of the three thematic waves:
1. Journalism, Trust and Participation
2. Media Technology and Marketing
3. Other Innovations
Typically a Stars4Media initiative revolves around one topic, under one wave. However, it is possible that applicants propose a topic of their choice which is cross-wave (e.g. data journalism addressing the topic of diversity). These topics are only indicative. Stars4Media welcomes bottom-up ideas.
As a media professional you will:
- Cooperate with another European media organisation for 4 months
- Benefit from the guidance and coaching of international media experts to test an innovative idea
- Gain practical skills in areas such as quality reporting, data journalism, AI and translation technologies, marketing, business development, and social media
- Join a community of media innovators from all over the European Union
- Receive a grant of 5,400€ per participant
As a media organisation or tech company you will:
- Test new editorial and technological products and new business models across borders
- Grow your network with innovative media and tech companies in Europe
- Develop and motivate your staff and future management
- Receive a grant: up to 16,200€ per media organisation (in the ideal case of 3 individuals per organisation*)
- Exchange best practices with innovative media organisations
There are two deadlines: May 1st 2021, or July 1st 2021.
Check with the main page to learn more and apply: https://stars4media.eu/call-for-initiatives/