Call for Applications: 3rd Summer School of the Viadrina Center B/ORDERS IN MOTION
Theme: Borders and Migration in Digital Times
When: August 16 – 28, 2021
Where: European University Viadrina in Frankfurt (Oder), Germany
The Viadrina Center B/ORDERS IN MOTION invites master and post-graduate students including Ph.D.-candidates to apply for the two-week international summer school “Borders and Migration in Digital Times” at the European University Viadrina in Frankfurt (Oder), Germany, which will take place from 16 to 28 August, 2021, and which is financially supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). In the summer school, we deal with the rapidly developing digitalization of border and migration management. Students who intend to start exploring this emerging field are invited as well as those who have already consolidated a research interest in this direction.
About the program
The summer school’s program combines various formats which facilitate the acquisition and consolidation of knowledge and skills. Renowned scientists from the fields of border, migration and digital studies will delve into core aspects with their lectures. A continuous tutorial provides space to discuss selected publications with the invited lecturers as well as with the researchers of the Viadrina Center B/ORDERS IN MOTION.
The summer school provides opportunities to acquire basic experience in the practical
application of a digital publication tool (e.g. MAHARA). In collaborative sessions, participants will creatively learn how to design, produce and publish digital contributions – including film material. Participants with an already developed research focus on digital borders and migration management will have the chance to share their own research projects or ideas within speed presentations. In the course of the summer school, excursions to topically relevant sites in Berlin and at the German-Polish border are envisaged.
Benefits of the summer school specifically consist of:
• An encounter with cultural and social science perspectives on borders and migration in digital times.
• Imparting and deepening the knowledge about basic theoretical approaches and concepts such as migration and border regimes, migration infrastructure, securitization, externalization of controls, digital bordering, border complexities, digitalization of migration management and control, differential inclusion, algorithm-driven decision-making, autonomy of migration.
• Getting to know an interdisciplinary perspective on border and migration research and (first) experiences of interdisciplinary cooperation.
• Gaining an understanding of what the prerequisites are for a multidimensional application of analytical concepts which explain complex social processes and structural formations.
• Acquisition of practical digital knowledge through the creative, guided development of audio-visual contributions tackling self-selected questions, which are presented at the end of the summer school and published on the summer school website.
• Discussion of the ethical dimensions of the use of digital technology for border control and border crossing.
Who can apply?
The summer school aims at graduate and postgraduate students including Ph.D.-candidates worldwide who are interested in an exploration of the digital dimension of the state-border-migration nexus. Participants are required to have a very good command of English as the teaching language will be English. The number of participants is limited to 20 persons. Please note that the summer school is directed at master and PhD-students (graduate and postgraduate) only and does not address post-doctoral researchers.
How to apply?
Participation at the summer school and the grant of a scholarship (covering travel and accommodation costs as specified above) is bound to an application procedure. Decisions about participation will be made by a selection committee of the Viadrina Center B/ORDERS IN MOTION.
In order to apply, please hand in a motivational letter (max. 1 A4 page), which describes your interest in the summer school and possibly also your research with regard to the border-migration nexus and – if applicable – also your special interest in the digitalization of migration and borders. A CV is required. Besides information about your educational and academic attainments, please indicate courses, internships or practical experiences in the field of border and/or migration studies and/or the digitalization of borders and migration.
The application is to be sent via email until 10th of April, 2021 to: email@example.com
You will be informed about the decision by April 30th, 2021.
If you have any questions, please contact:
PD Dr. Carolin Leutloff-Grandits, Viadrina Center B/ORDERS IN MOTION
More information at https://www.borders-in-motion.de/sommerschule-2021