The U.S. Embassy announces an open competition for assistance awards through this Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) for one or a series of programs to support independent media.
The objective of the project is to strengthen the capacity of Moldovan media and the development of local production capacity in the Republic of Moldova in the interests of plurality of views, editorial independence, and the development of the local production capacity in the Republic of Moldova in the interests of plurality of views and editorial independence.
Proposals need to include detailed and realistic implementation plan on reaching the objectives and proposed priorities, specific activities.
Project proposals must address at least one of the following themes:
- Support independent news and information media outlets (broadcast, online, print) that are committed to factual, objective and thorough reporting on issues relevant to Moldova’s economic and political development.
- Develop the institutional capacity, competitiveness, and sustainability of independent media outlets.
- Support innovative approaches to using technology, including alternative delivery platforms, to more effectively inform Moldovan audiences on issues relevant to Moldova’s economic and political development.
- Upgrade media outlets’ online presences, including improved security and resilience against hacking and other threats.
- Develop and strengthen media outlets on the regional and local level in the Republic of Moldova.
Interested organizations shall develop a plan that would fit the above stated priorities into a comprehensive development strategy. The embassy will not accept proposals that seek support for specific TV programs or journalism projects, but proposals to generally strengthen a media outlet’s production or journalism capabilities are welcome.
The U.S. Embassy will consider awarding grants ranging from $50,000 to $250,000. Any requests outside of these limits will not be considered.
Eligibility is limited to not-for-profit organizations (NGOs, CSOs, think tanks, etc.) and independent mass media organizations officially registered and licensed in the Republic of Moldova, and not affiliated with elected or appointed government or political party officials or their family members, nor affiliated with individuals or groups designated by U.S. officials for being involved with significant corruption or their family members. Organizations from outside the country may apply via a locally registered partner organization.
March 26, 2021 18:00
More information and Standard Application Forms: